The College of New Jersey

Apply     Visit     Give     |     Alumni     Parents     Offices     TCNJ Today     

Business Start-Up Assistance

Starting a business? Need assistance? Use the links below to set up a consultation with our team. 

Schedule Your Counseling Appointment


Early Stage Businesses

(Operating less than one year or in planning stages – complete all steps)

  • Consultation Request Form – Collects info about your business and your electronic signature for requesting our services.
  • Readiness Assessment Form – Allows us to determine which online training chapters you will take to prepare for counseling.
  • Online Training Site – This link will take you to our Small Business Survival Training Page at Create your login and bookmark the website. Upgrade to full access in order to see the entire site and enable quizzes.

¿Buscando ayuda en español?


Frequently Asked Questions

Click on the arrows to expand the question and reveal the answer.  

How Do I Register a Trade Name?

If the business name is your name, registration is advisable but not required. If the business name is not your name, registration is required. Registration of your trade name generally protects your trade name from use by any other business in the county. However, if you are not incorporated, your business name may not be protected. Your trade name certificate must be purchased at your local stationery store or obtained at the County Clerk’s Office.

Bring four (4) completed and notarized copies to your local county court house.

To register a Sole Proprietorship or General Partnership under a trade name or name including “and Company” or “& Co.,” contact the County Clerk in the county or counties where business will be conducted.

The Mercer County Clerk’s Office is located on the first floor of the old court house at:

209 South Broad St.
Trenton, NJ 08650
Room 100
Phone: 609-989-6464

What certificates do I need for a Corporation, LLC, Partnership, etc?

For Corporations, Limited Liability Companies (LLC’s), Limited Partnerships or Limited Liability Partnerships (LLP’s), a Certificate of Incorporation or Business Certificate must be filed with the State of New Jersey.

New Jersey Department of Revenue – Corporate Filing Unit
33 West State Street, 5th Floor
Trenton, NJ 08608
Phone: 609-292-9292

How do I register a business name with the State of New Jersey for Tax and Employer Purposes?

All businesses must register with the New Jersey Division of Revenue 15 days prior to the day business opens. Sole Proprietorships and General Partnerships with no employees file business taxes under their Social Security Number. All businesses with employees must file business taxes under a federal tax identification number.

To register, visit the Department of Revenue’s Client Registration Bureau’s online portal at

You may file online or download the registration package. If you have questions, contact the Bureau at 609-292-9292.

How do I reserve a business name?

You can check availability and reserve a business name online at the NJ Department of Revenue’s Business Name Reservation/Registration page at

Or, contact:
NJ Division of Revenue – Corporate Filing
33 West State Street, 5th Floor
Trenton, NJ 08608

Remember – reserving a business name does not register the business entityYou will still need to register your business. It is important to note that online business registration is not available if you have reserved or registered the business name.

Is a business license needed?

Occupations and business activities may require some form of registration, license or certification by the State of New Jersey.

The New Jersey License and Certification Guide can be downloaded from the NJ Business Portal website at

Municipal and County regulations may also apply, making it prudent to contact your local authorities on regulations and permits applicable to your business.

A great resource is the Division of Consumer Affairs’ Professional and Occupational Licensing Boards page at


Where can I learn more about starting a business in New Jersey?